This 3-day intensive research bundle combines our most popular research courses; Service Design and Research Fundamentals (UXR101), Advanced UX Research (UXR201) and Usability Testing Fundamentals (UT101).
Day-1 introduces the theory and practical skills required for UX researchers and service designers.
The course then builds upon these foundations in small sample qualitative user research techniques to begin using large sample quantitative research methods to validate their initial user insights.
Following the modules on UX research and service design, the course teaches the knowledge and skills to run usability testing sessions and accurately measure and report the findings and recommendations.
You will learn about the different types of usability testing as well as which scenarios are conducive to each type.
Day-1 Service Design and Research Fundamentals.
You will learn:
- The origins and benefits of user research.
- Introduction to Qualitative research methods
- User interviews using the dBAG (Demographics, Behaviour, Attitudes, Goals) framework.
- Learn how to complete a Heuristic Competitor Analysis.
- The importance of Contextual Enquiry (field research).
- Qualitative (small sample) audience segmentation.
- Creating User Personas from qualitative studies.
- Customer Journey Mapping.
- Waivers, opt-in forms and other document templates needed when researching users.
Day 2 concludes with a Workshop: How to ‘do user Research’ with limited budget and project approval. Attendees will have the opportunity to share the challenges in their own career situations for consulting user research, where the instructor will assist in share their experience for introducing user research in diverse environments.
Day-2 Advanced UX Research
You will learn:
- Introduction to Quantitative user research methods.
- The role of both qualitative and quantitative research in understanding the customer.
- Converting qualitative study assumptions into quantitative enquiries.
- Large sample surveys using the dBAG (Demographics, Behaviour, Attitudes, Goals) framework.
- Advanced survey design best practices: The ideal number of questions; Delivery methods; Should you insist on required answers?; When to use A/B splits.
- Using Excel Pivot tables to build data-driven (and validated) personas.
- Case studies: Segmenting personas by demographics, goals, attitudes and behaviours.
- Sample sizes and confidence intervals for larger sample studies.
- Creating Customer Journey Maps from large sample quantitative studies.
- A hands-on look at Survey Monkey, Qualtrics, Google Sheets (Excel) and Google Forms as efficient and affordable quantitative research tools.
Day-3 Usability Testing Fundamentals
You will learn:
- Introduction to usability testing and its role in product and service design.
- Formative Vs. Summative usability testing (and when to use which).
- Workshop: Creating usability test scripts for objective, accurate and insightful results.
- Recruiting and screening respondents for your testing sessions.
- Quantitative UX measurement: System Usability Scale (SUS), error rates and completion scores.
- Combining generative and qualitative research with usability testing.
- Setting up a usability lab for desktop or mobile interface testing.
- Compiling a Usability Testing Results, Findings & Recommendations Report.
Coffee, tea and refreshments provided.
What our past attendees say
Zoe Murray – UX Researcher
“Mike was instrumental in helping me change careers into UX properly. I was still in a transition phase and he offered to mentor me after I had completed the General Assembly UX course. I worked with the Mike and the Expiriti team on a live client project with a start-up. Mike’s incredible mentorship skills helped to take what I knew from my previous career and apply this to UX Research. I will always be grateful for Expiriti providing me with my first opportunity to gain practical experience in UX and giving me the confidence and a platform that I needed.”